Marvel made their much-anticipated return to the big screen as Captain Marvel hit
After taking the top seed for the past two weeks, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World continues to show it’s legs bringing in $14.6 million in its third week. That enough to push its domestic haul just shy of $120 million to $119.6 million, which Dreamworks Studio should be more than satisfied with.
Tyler Perry’s A Madea Funeral added another $12.4 million to its total, good enough to put its total up over $46.2 million, nearly all of which has been made stateside. With recouping its budget and then some, expect Tyler Perry’s next Madea film next holiday season.
Rounding out the top five are The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part and Alita: Battle Angel. The LEGO Movie 2 continues to disappoint with a meagre 3.8 million, culminating to $97.1 million domestically. Showing signs of domestic life, Alita fought its way to $3.2 million, enough to bring its domestic total just shy of $80 million.
Here’s a full look a the top ten movies at the box office from this weekend:
1. Captain Marvel – $153.4 million, $153.4 million
2. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – $14.6 million, $119.6 million
3. Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral – $12.4 million, $46.2 million
4. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $3.8 million, $97.1 million
5. Alita: Battle Angel – $3.2 million, $78.3 million
6. Green Book – $2.5 million, $80.1 million
7. Isn’t It Romantic – $2.2 million, $44 million
8. Greta – $2.1 million, $8.2 million
9. Fighting With My Family – $2.1 million, $18.6 million
10. Apollo 11 – $1.2 million, $3.7 million
Domestic totals in bold.
Box office numbers courtesy of boxofficemojo.com.
Check out last weekend’s box office totals here.